Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:15 pm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

The world of Myst & the D'ni has a diverse amount of source material and, as with any universe whose creation has spanned decades, there is bound to be gaps and inconsistencies in what is considered the Truth.

For Unwritten, we have stayed as close to the accepted canon as possible; however we have adapted, changed and even outright ignored or contradicted information that impact gameplay. Unwritten is not meant to be a definitive canon work, rather it is a gathering of information presented as a tool for creativity.

In the mythos of the D'ni universe, the single-player Myst games (Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation & End of Ages) are considered fictional representations of actual events, while the events of Uru (and related "In Cavern" websites) took place in the 'real world'.

Unwritten follows the same convention; what you see in the games is documentary, and events & activities that occurred during the Cyan-led portions of Uru are considered part of the story of D'ni.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:49 am 

Thank you for this information. I am also curious. How do the novels (Atrus, Ti'ana and D'Ni) figure into this schema?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:12 am 

From a canon perspective, the events of the novels are 'close' to what happened. Obviously there are some differences (the novels imply that D'ni is beneath the middle east while it is beneath New Mexico in canon, etc.).

What we know about the family of Atrus comes from Catherine's journals and who knows exactly how accurate those are.

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:19 am 

For a moment I read this on having real history in it - like there would be an entry on how Cyan created the Myst Game or that in 2013 a roleplaying gmae came out called Unwritten. Then I realized how inception like that would be, and umm lets be honest won't actually add much to the whole gaming experience in my opinion.

Just sayin, hehe :)

(The whole Mid East being where the Cavern is but its really being in New Mexico has always been an interesting difference to me. I always had the thought of either having there be an underground passage from D'ni to the Mid East or maybe even having some sort of colony or outpost of the D'ni be near the Mid East. Though both ideas are just thought experiments for me, hehe)

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. It is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we becomes victims of the darkness."-Justice William O. Douglas

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:25 am 

Well, in Cyan canon, the Myst games were based on 'real-events', including Myst V being based on Dr. Watson's adventure. We didn't come up with that ;)

I'm not sure there whether we'll make some meta reference to Unwritten existing in canon. It's fun, but has been done before (see the Dresden Files RPG).

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:11 pm 

This all makes a lot more sense to me now. I never understood those differences, having not played much of Uru at all. The cave location change did strike me as rather odd when I first tried out Uru on Gametap years ago. Thank you for contextualizing these canonical differences.

Just downloaded the Beta manuscript. Can't wait to check it out!

Offline Profile