Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:00 pm

Post subject: Phases?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:59 am 

So, whenever I've played FATE, I've always found that a real cornerstone to absolutely loving it and getting completely into the story is the phases of life that the characters share as part of generation.

I believe the pinnacle of this was definitely SoTC's pulp novel concept... I still remember the names of some of them. In other FATE games I've played, this was still really a cornerstone to the entire campaign. It vested the players in the world.

So, what are your plans for how to do that for Unwritten?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Phases?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:16 pm 

Unwritten mirrors the collaborative nature of FateCore's world-building and character creation (which I've been calling the Game Prologue). There's a lot of discussion and guided brainstorming involved.

For the 'phase trio' part of character creation, Unwritten provides three different suggested methods that the table can choose from.
  • Shared Adventures - This is pretty much the SotC/FateCore phases in which people share adventures
  • Exploring the Ages - This one is personally focused, but has some crossover. Phase One is about your discovery of D'ni. In Phase Two, each player comes up with an Age that was the stage for an important moment in their life. In Phase Three, everyone trades Ages and comes up with another important moment in that Age.
  • Shared Origin - This method is focused on how how the characters came together into a cohesive group (party building, really). The phases talk about their life before, how they came together, and their 'niche' in the group.

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile