Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:20 am

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

From elsenet:
Quote:
Primary question: what makes this a Myst RPG? I presume we all agree that a D'ni timeline and a list of Guilds doesn't do the job.

I have some dim understanding of how, say, Spirit of the Century supports pulp-adventure play. (Character stunts and aspects which are cinematic-trope-cliches; mixing characters' backstories into each other at setup time under pulp-style titles.) What's the equivalent here? What is Myst-like gaming, and how do you support it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:38 pm 

Well, I've been wrestling with that quite a bit.

In some ways, it's not just a Myst game. It's about taking the Myst universe in a slightly new direction and opening it up to all sorts of gaming. There is a lot of room for pulp-ish adventures, for intrigue and for shared stories (none of which Myst or even Uru as games fully support). Heck, the end of the novels tend to be more adventure story than anything else (Aitrus the Elder running through D'ni trying to avoid the plague, Atrus the younger and Katran fleeing from Gehn, etc).

But, as someone said recently, Myst is much like a cerebral version of Spirit of the Century. So I've taken inspiration from the GUMSHOE system and made a hack for FateCore that focuses on investigation and solving mysteries in which clues function as aspects that can be invoked for more information.

Also, I've worked on focusing some time in the text on exploration and the environment as an opponent. That's nothing new for the FateCore community, but I take some time to explicitly call it out and discuss it.

Other notes I am trying to hit:
  • the importance of making things out of what you discover (resources, places and contacts as stunts; guidance on how to use skills to scavange or cultivate resources).
  • the effect of unexpected circumstances (especially when writing Ages, but also in accomplishing larger projects)
  • a focus on the future - a lot of the nitty-gritty details of D'ni history and the Myst games themselves have been left out or paired down. Unwritten is really about the explorers and what they do in the Great Tree. I try to provide examples instead of definitive lists and possibilities instead of answers.

There is not much truly astonishing in the mechanics here - FateCore really provides a lot of what you need. I found when I tried to invent a lot of extra mechanics that the game just got muddier rather than more fun. So I've focused on seasoning FateCore in a way that fits Myst and Uru both as I have experienced it and as I'd like to see it evolve. :)

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:57 pm 

Thanks for the explication.

One of my RPG-playing friends looked at the KS and immediately said "Myst feels like a diceless." He was just thinking of Myst and Riven, not the books or Uru, though.

My notion is a play session where the players' conflicts with the world wind up constructing a Myst-style puzzle environment. Successes are elements you understood, consequences are additional complexities, and everybody is "attacking" with their particular skills... This would not be puzzle-solving in the Myst/IF sense, where the designer builds a puzzle, hands it off to the players, and steps back. But the collaborative narrative at the end would be of a group of characters figuring out an Age.

Have you had any play sessions that went this way?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:12 pm 

It could easily be diceless. We had several sessions where not a single roll was made. FateCore lends itself to that.

We've not had any session where the players have overcome the problem purely through mechanical means. Often what has happened is that successful rolls have opened up opportunities for questions and/or hints and the rest was role-played.

Additional complexities came from compels (One character was trying to shut down a D'ni device and was compelled on his aspect "Rough Around the Egdes" - so he stopped it by shoving a crowbar in it) or from success at a cost (another character failed a Stealth roll when dealing with the Rivenese and chose success at cost - he was undetected, but because he was shanghaied by the Moiety).

However, there's no reason you couldn't handle it from a 'tactical' perspective. The Fate Fractal allows you to run anything as a character, so the puzzle itself could be 'defending character' and you could take it out through mental conflict.

That's a great idea for an example, actually... *runs off to his notes*

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:28 pm 

I recall another puzzle where we were handed a series of clues and an image. We solved our way through it by fiddling around placing things where we thought they would go, asking if that worked, and then tweaking what we did based on feedback from each other and the DM telling us what didn't work. I don't remember whether or not we rolled dice at all on that one.

Offline Profile