Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:56 pm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:55 am 

Hello,

First I want to say thank you. I've always thought an RPG of the Myst universe would be cool and amazing.

I am curious if their are any thoughts about having a Quickstart or Start Adventure available with the RPG?

This might be usefull for a couple of reasons.
* Seems you have a lot of players coming from the Video game world that aren't familiar with RPGs

* Such an adventure helps set the tone of the game through an example. Give new GMs an example of what type of stories the RPG supports.

* Something ready to run for GMs who want to demo the game at game stores and game days.

Just a thought.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:54 am 

I would like to second that. But would also like to suggest a whole series of starter pack ages be available

I am an old timer who remembers the '60s and two individuals called Gary Gygax and Dave Ameson, with their craze that they initiated. First it started with the college kids and their role playing games from there it began to fester and infected US military personnel. At that point Dungeons and Dragons became a household word. It has slowly grown into its current Castles and Crusades. in my opinion Unwritten has the same chance now, as Gary Gygax's D&D had then of becoming a household word.

MOULa 9303924 TOC MOUL 273767 UAM 22832 Deep Island 208762

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:30 pm 

I hadn't been considering an adventure in the book itself, even though an adventure in the back of the book is pretty common. I'd wanted to focus pages on guidelines and GM advice.

However, I've gotten a lot of suggestions for this, so I will have to seriously consider it.

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:33 pm 

Perhaps it could be a part of the people and places sourcebook? Everyone is getting access to that anyway... but of course it could work as an appendix in the main unwritten book too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:38 pm 

That does seem to be the style of a lot of others, where they include some 'simple' playthrough, even just to note how it plays and how the gameflow is. For instance, I'm no stranger to RPGs, but I am to a few systems, including FATE. So, if it's self-contained, a lot of the stuff will have to be outlined, and you can't compare it off of other games (well, shouldn't, it's no good to newcomers to the genre). So, a script and simple playthrough thing helps people see what's up, even if they never run it.

I mean, setting details are good (as my memory of D'ni history is a mix of cribbing from a few net sources, a handful of Uru books, and what little I picked up otherwise) but you're also producing a game, so it will need details of how it works as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:36 pm 

BladeLakem wrote:
I hadn't been considering an adventure in the book itself, even though an adventure in the back of the book is pretty common. I'd wanted to focus pages on guidelines and GM advice.

However, I've gotten a lot of suggestions for this, so I will have to seriously consider it.

Even if no Quickstart Adventure happens, including a few single-page Age writeups with some plot hooks and ideas to connect them would be great, as well as some characters to drop into them. Probably nobody important - certainly not the big Y - just characters that make sense in context and would be interesting for players to interact with, perhaps hinting at non-obvious adventures within the age. I'll be carrying over a lot of Apocalypse/Dungeon World mentality (especially the idea of Fronts that slowly advance around the PCs) so just having a few good ideas of NPCs and what goals they're working toward will be a huge help.

I also strongly support including 'worked examples' in big callouts or in chapter-endnotes. It's one thing to say "Write a high concept. Now write a few more Aspects. Here's how..." but a mock dialog of players discussing character creation (or social situations, or physical conflict, or Writing) will go a long way toward helping both RPGers and Videogamers grok your intent.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:28 am 

There will be example Ages, all statted up. Those will be designed with the people who pledged at the Guild of Writers level. 5 in the main book and 5 in the supplements.

As for examples, I will be adding a bunch of examples to the Campaign and Character Creation sections.

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:53 am 

Or.. you could announce some analogue of "Game Chef" contest after the game release...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:53 pm 

Game Chef is fun :)

KI#00001498

Offline Profile