Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:37 pm

Post subject: Alternate canon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:09 pm 

I was wondering - how will conflicting canon from the various games and books be covered in Unwritten (if at all)? I'm mainly curious about facts that were presented in earlier works that were subsequently "overwritten" by later works - things like the existence of trap books, the location of the Cleft, etc.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Alternate canon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:59 pm 

I have found Cyan are surprisingly flexible on Cannon basically don't kill off characters and don't make changes that can't be changed so you can't have Yeesha for example loose an eye.

Where you will have trouble is the wrath of those fans who see themselves as self appointed protectors of Cyan gospel.

One thing that Cyan say is that only Yeesha or Altrus are left to write new linking books but there is nothing to stop you finding linking books that survived the fall of D'ni.

Cyan reserve the right to change their cannon. So they can move the cleft you can't and to be fair it is their universe.

But as an age writer you can find a pre-fall age and then change thing in that age as long as you do it by methods other than age writing.
So for example you find a populated age you become a dictator in that age and the proceeded to build a colossal statue to the god Phut.

Or in this other age you find a linking book back to a Cyan age then that's valid. As long as nothing changes about the Cyan age you arrive at.
There was a time that Cyan were protective of their texture maps but that was even relaxed to allow Age writers to write ages that were purported to be other parts of the cavern and the texture use was allowed to preserve the look and feel of the cavern environment.

If you have Drizzle loaded there is a particularly fine example of a fan age "Fehnir House" that uses Cyan textures to good effect.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:39 am 

Canon for Unwritten is often vague, because what we know of D'ni is actually often vague. The main Unwritten book focuses on modern D'ni and what modern explorers know - almost all of which is actually hearsay. For example, what we know of D'ni culture is just what the DRC knew of D'ni culture, with a lot of it filtered through journals of people like Catherine.

And even Uru itself isn't 100% canon - Ae'gura is actually much bigger than appears in Uru.

So, we go with the basics and the most generally accepted in Myst Online. Trap books don't exist in the way they did in Myst and Riven. The Cleft is in New Mexico, Dr. Kodama's favorite word is 'no', etc. We embellish bits here and there to fill a whole or add some charactert (the modern Guild of Writers _has_ figured out how to write Ages in Unwritten, for example, and someone in Carlsbad is making a killing ferrying porta-potties back and forth from the City, etc.).

But, that doesn't mean it has to be that way in your game. We present Unwritten as a starting point. If you want your Yeesha to lose an eye, go for it. If you want your Cleft to be in the Sahara, or the Gobi, or Anatartica, then more power to ya. Unwritten gives you a framework that you can build a lot off of. And add to that the FateCore community's deep history of hacking the rules to fit what you want from your game, you have a lot of options.

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:00 am 

Cyan made it clear we can explore any story line we want as long as we don't set it in stone also things that change MOULa are classed as "Yeesha magic" and ar out of bounds.

Very early on, and this was before all of the Game tap stuff I wrote the early part of an embedded story that a a tallented Pythoneer attached to UntilUru using python scripts.

I asked about writing this story as a (not for profit but cover costs) book and Cyan were at that time adamant that I could do stuff electronically stuff that could be digitally withdrawn but considered hard copy too difficult to undo.

They were also adamant that they would not police the content this was to ensure plot denyability so if I had come up with a plot device that they were later to use I could not claim they stole it. At the time I considered this a fair position.

Note this was before the days of mass digital publishing and a time when there was no way to be paid for a digital book.

This was at a time when Cyan had enough staff to have a legal bod so I backed off.

As it happens I continued to write the story for my own enjoyment and as such the constarints were removed so I included Yeesha as a secondary character. Yeesha became my plot device I wanted a new linking book so if Yeesha was the only source then I had to create a situation in the story such that Yessha wrote my linking book.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:46 pm 

Not sure if it's too late to request such things, but would it be possible to get a sidebar or something similar calling out the major differences for those of us who would prefer to play in book- or early-game-canon as opposed to MOUL-cannon? I realize that, this being an RPG, I can make adjustments to the world as I please, but it'd be nice to have it as an easily accessible resource. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:55 pm 

That's a good idea. However, it might be better for the supplements we are working on, as they focus on those time periods. it's something that bears thinking about. Thanks for the suggestion!

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:40 am 

Will Unwritten itself exist within the canon universe the way Myst and Riven do? For example, it could be explained as a splatbook for modern/realistic campaign settings, in the same way that someone might want rules for dot-com startups or maglev trains or 3d printing.

Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:12 pm 

Quote:
Will Unwritten itself exist within the canon universe the way Myst and Riven do?

You mean, as a game played by people who also visit the Cavern? No reason not to, but it's probably a little baroque to mention that fact in Unwritten itself. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:17 pm 

This all sounds very promising. Of course, Rand and RAWA aren't going to be coming round our houses and peering through our letterboxes to see how we're treating their canon...(at least, if they are, I hope they'll come in for a cup of tea)...but at the same time, the closer one can be to canon the more fun I think it's likely to be. Throw out too much and all you have is a sandbox.

Though in my games (assuming I manage to find some players round here) nobody will just "figure out" how to Write Ages... :twisted:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:45 pm 

Zander wrote:
(assuming I manage to find some players round here)

Where is here for you?

Offline Profile