Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:52 pm

Post subject: Re: Alternate canon
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:01 pm 

I know its a total matter of opinion but I have always actually liked the idea that using the Art people actually create the Ages they are going to. I combine it with the concept that some Ages are created by the Maker (as the D'ni refer to the Creator) and others can be made by those using the divine art that is the Art of Writing Ages. There is a bit of theology in my own view that the D'ni accept that made it a lot less corrupt for them to create ages - and it is that just as the Maker gave the D'ni and the like free will and purity of life so is it that those people made on Ages written into existence by the D'ni have free will and the purity of life.

Gehn absorbed the fact that D'ni create Ages but he didn't really understand or internalize the fact that respect must be given to all life just as the Maker respects the D'ni.

This doesn't change my view that the D'ni consider themselves superior to others, but that is not so much an intrinsic biological supremacy but a cultural one - the D'ni have the Art and others don't and so the D'ni are awesome!

Actually, to go along with my basic view on alternate canon, is that my D'ni is not a dark, evil corrupt D'ni. They didn't have a slave caste, they didn't have the Bahro work for them using 'magical' bonds or some stone. They had a lower class who weren't as rich, powerful or able to join the greater guilds but all D'ni were free, none wore bonds of slavery. It is for this reason that when the D'ni meet the Tre-something people (in the book of Atrus, I forget their name its been so long) they are shocked by the utter enslavement of Age natives.

I do like the idea of the Bahro, as an alien race that managed to naturally have some sort of linking ability, but I dislike the whole Yeesha metaplot and her godpower. So I probably would ignore such things in any Unwritten game I created, but that is just me.

Obviously I support the core book having actual official canon information - having a centralized location where That Which Is Written can be found will make it easier for me to change the things I don't like from canon. To me that is what is spectacular about a roleplaying book or a compendium of some story or game - its a centralized source of information all in one place which I can most easily cherry pick from as I need to.

Oh man, the more I think about this game the more I get so damm happy that it exists and will come about and that there are in fact others who think and feel the same about it as I do. Its just sooooooo cool!!!!!

PS. Oh and Gondar, I kind of just want to say that I totally agree with your last post! :)

(Obviously everything in this post is my own opinion and is totally not to be taken as judgement on any others or their beliefs - this is the internet and so without the verbal and visual cues a person normally puts out its hard to tell how freaken excited I am about all this stuff. hehe)

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. It is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we becomes victims of the darkness."-Justice William O. Douglas

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:44 am 

reneald wrote:
PlasmaPhoenix wrote:
Given that, the reason I asked the initial question is that Myst, to me, is the setting found in the books and the first few games; Uru and EoA felt decidedly un-Myst-like (and I know there are many who feel the opposite, which is why I'll call this out as nothing more than a personal preference).

Bless the Maker, I'm not the only one. :o

I know I'm late to the forums on this one, but I definitely share this same sentiment. I'm obsessive about Myst and Riven and I've read all the novels multiple times. And though I've played Uru and EoA, they definitely felt like a completely different experience and not really what I was looking for. I actually prefer the non Cyan Myst sequels like Exile to the later games.

As has been stressed by posters before me, this is obviously just my personal opinion and I respect that the later games are beloved by so many.

But I too am very curious about Unwritten's flexibility to run campaigns set in different eras or canons closer to the early Myst games. Would it be possible to run games without referencing post Uru canon, or is the build of the game really leaning primarily on that setting?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:32 am 

The rules can be used for pretty much any era of D'ni you want (or technically, not even D'ni at all - there is a chapter that talks a little about that). The setting information is geared toward after MOUL happens.

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:56 am 

BladeLakem wrote:
The rules can be used for pretty much any era of D'ni you want (or technically, not even D'ni at all - there is a chapter that talks a little about that). The setting information is geared toward after MOUL happens.

Not to be a backseat driver, and you probably already thought about this, but if you organize the setting information in sections with labels than those who wish to ignore later errors (or maybe not ignore but change around or place in flux or whathaveyou) could say something like "players, only read up to the x section."

As a GM I want everything to be written and provided for, even if there are sections and time periods that I would tell particular campaigns to 'ignore' or 'bypass.'

Example, I want to be able to read the section on Yeesha and the various additional rules and special traits that such an era might have - such as Relto - while maybe deciding that for the purposes of the particular campaign it wasn't Yeesha that does it but the Friend who participates in the main four games. hehe

++

I was wondering something - is the Unwritten Team allowed to have sections that clearly go against what Cyan has officially decided for the Myst Universe. I understand that in suggesting ages we have to follow certain in-universe requirements, but are you allowed to have sections that go against official Cyan lore maybe in the campaign chapter or in side bars (as a note sidebars and glossaries are cool, like bowties and fezzes) that provide alternate ideas and suggestions.

++

Gah, everything about this is just so enthralling and interesting, I look forward to eventually reading the book. And maybe even see about having an online game - since my state of life while pretty good is not really conducive to everybody gather around roleplaying campaigns, sadly.

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. It is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we becomes victims of the darkness."-Justice William O. Douglas

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:57 am 

Generally, we stick to RAWA's guidelines for stories, which boils down to "If it would be a pain for Cyan to contradict it later, then don't do it." That being said, we talk about how to go off on your own, do your own thing with your version of the setting (like having your own instance of Relto).

As far as 'going outside of canon', we don't do that much. There are some embellishments here and there, but mostly we present 'what ifs'.

Now, you aren't going to see a lot of detail in terms of the setting in the main book. Most of the setting sections are aimed at the Myst novice. The veterans out there will get something out of the discussion, but you aren't going to find any new or surprising material in there. What players know about D'ni and its history is just like what explorers know - not very much. The setting descriptions reflect that.

This is intentional. The book is about providing the flavor of the universe and giving players and GMs lots of options. Unwritten is not about role-playing in Myst, or in Riven or in Uru. It's about role-playing in the D'ni universe and building your own stories and history in it.

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:05 am 

BladeLakem,

This all makes a lot of sense. And yeah, I totally understand the need and the interest to have the game being about playing in the Myst/D'ni Universe rather than directly on Myst.

Most games, to be honest, probably won't ever see or interact with Myst or Atrus and such things.

That said, I am glad that there is going to be a lot of 'what ifs' and I think having such things would make the book(s) all that more better. Story ideas, sideways plots, points that change certain concepts. Even if they are not canon they provide a lot of great ideas for campaigns and adventurers.

I hope that with the great success of this endeavor there will be future possibilities of additional books covering other unique topics - like alternate time periods and points. :)

(Look if I could totally have my way I would love to read hundreds of books each covering particular topics, hehe)

Offline Profile