Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:12 am

Post subject: Liscencing / OGL
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:20 am 

I notice Unwritten is released under a OGL licence, and I was wondering if it will be possible to publish materials for Unwritten under a licence, and if so, does it work similarly to say the D&D 3.5ed licence where people could release stuff with no fee or royalties, as long as they didn't republish certain things (rules that would negate requiring the core rule book)?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Liscencing / OGL
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:36 pm 

Those elements of Unwritten that will be freely available under the OGL can be republished as long as you adhere to the terms of the OGL. (which generally says that OGL material you use must also be presented under the OGL and that you have to include the OGL text with the product with notes to what parts are freely available).

As for anything else, that refers mostly to the Intellectual Property of the setting, which belongs to Cyan, Inc. That's nothing I have authority over.

Cyan does have legal guidelines for Non-Commercial Use, as well as Third Party Work and Fan Art:
http://cyan.com/company/support/legal/

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:18 pm 

OK, that does sound a bit like how the D&D 3.5ed licence worked.

Since materials in any unwritten supplement will have to naturally include materials from the Myst universe (linking books, D'ni) it sounds like permission will have to be granted each time from Cyan. Bummer, that means there's probably not going to be much third party materials for unwritten (though I know that's out of your hands), unless Cyan is fairly permissive.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:24 am 

I realize I perhaps worded this poorly. I guess what I'm wondering is, there's the OGL licence for unwritten, but is there some sort of understanding with Cyan that people will be able to publish materials for unwritten without getting permission each time from Cyan, since really just writing a supplement would have to naturally dip into use of IP?
I imagine free material won't be a problem, and I can understand if Cyan's position was to prevent unlicensed paid materials, but I really like what happened to D&D 3.ed where there were a ton of talented writers (and yes, there was crap too), making stuff available for players, and I think it's a very good example of the system working. WotC didn't get any money from those materials people made, but they got the benefit of it requiring their rule books, potentially bringing new gamers to buy their products.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:49 pm 

It pretty much comes down to if you want to use rules from Unwritten, that's covered by the OGL and you can. Any use of Cyan's IP is completely the purview of Cyan. You have to talk to them about that.

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile