Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:59 pm

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:30 am 

I've read elsewhere that Unwritten will be written primarily to support a setting set after the end of Myst Online, but will contain advice on how to run games set in other time periods and versions of the cannon.

How easy will it be to do this?

I ask because while I've played the numbered games and have read a bit about Online, my heart will always lie in Riven - and more specifically, in the cannon as it was defined at the time when Riven was the most recently released game in the series. That's when I'm thinking of setting my campaign. More importantly, some of my potential players have never played any games after Riven, and I'd prefer they not be forced to learn a whole bunch of details about the more recent cannon just so they can know what parts of Unwritten can and should be ignored.

So, to re-phrase my question: How difficult will it be for me to isolate only the sections of the game that are relevant to time period and cannon I'd want to run in? Are the rules modular enough that I'll be able to say "OK, ignore chapters 4, 7 and 13 and the last two examples in chapter 6?" Or is the flavour of the Online setting interwoven in nearly every passage, and I'd be better served rewriting most of the text if I want to avoid confusing and distracting pre-exile players?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:07 pm 

Most of the book is written under the assumption that modern day humans are exploring the Cavern and the Ages. I think that was a wise decision by the RPG team, because even without knowledge of Myst Online and the Uru events, it's a way to get players easily grounded in the setting; just like the players are people learning aout this fantastic worlds as they go, so are their characters. They cam imagine themselves going from the tech we have now to the tech seen in the Ages. A character from the past might have to worry about their languages and their knowledge of tech; it's easy for us to look at a KI and think "this is like a cell phone", or learn a D'ni computer, but a character who knows nothing about the computer wouldn't have that frame of reference.

In the manuscript as it stands, there's a chapter on the Cavern as it is today, and that you could easily tell your players to skip over because it's not relevant to a past based campaign.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:43 am 

Thanks for the response!

Capella wrote:
Most of the book is written under the assumption that modern day humans are exploring the Cavern and the Ages... They can imagine themselves going from the tech we have now to the tech seen in the Ages.

Fortunately, my campaign premise calls for most or all of the players to be citizens of pre-fall D'ni, so I'm not too concerned about the implications of their having a frame of reference for understanding D'ni devices.

Capella wrote:
In the manuscript as it stands, there's a chapter on the Cavern as it is today, and that you could easily tell your players to skip over because it's not relevant to a past based campaign.

That sounds promising.

Just to clarify, is the text outside of the "the cavern today" chapter sufficiently peppered with details introduced in the later games (bahro, realtos, prison book changes, etc.) that a reader would have to make substantial changes in order to use Unwritten to run a game using the early games' cannon? (I'll probably do it either way, but knowing how much preparation is involved will change my approach).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:32 pm 

The rules themselves are not tied to any particular version of D'ni, so there shouldn't be any problem with that.

Outside of the setting specific chapters, the rest of the book can easily be adapted to a pre-Fall game. You can mention to players who read the book "Just ignore references to Yeesha and the Bahro" and they'll be fine.

In one of the chapters still under development also talks about setting the game in pre-Fall D'ni, so that will help as well.

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:21 am 

BladeLakem wrote:
The rules themselves are not tied to any particular version of D'ni, so there shouldn't be any problem with that... In one of the chapters still under development also talks about setting the game in pre-Fall D'ni, so that will help as well.

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear! I'll be eagerly waiting for the release.

Thanks for the response.

Offline Profile