Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:10 pm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:16 am 

Maybe I'm missing something, but there was the announcement to backers that there isn't a $25 international shipping charge anymore. The problem is while I'm backed at the $25 Book level, I wanted to then upgrade to the $50 Guildsman level. $50 is about what I can spare.. and $75 would REALLY be pushing it. The problem is, to change my pledge, Kickstarter insists I need to pay at least $75 for the $50 level thanks to the extra $25 for shipping. It then says I could click "I'm in the US" but it doesn't give the option, of course.. it knows I'm in Canada still.
So that means I can't actually increase the pledge unless I can manage to round up an extra $25... because I apparently have to pay $75 for the $50, and if I had the $75 I'd prefer to get the actual Guild of Artists level, except that it'd want me to pay $100 which is too much.

Am I missing something? Do I need to cancel my pledge and redo it? IS this unavoidable? If I just put in $50 will it actually SAY that I did that muich and not that I was just the Book level because it wanted $75 for the $50? Is the shipping costs still that much? (I mean, ok, to say Australia I can buy it, but unless you're expediting next-day you'd be talking $12 for a notebook and soft-cover book.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:06 am 

Well, the free international shipping kicks in at the stretch goal of $15K - we are not there yet.

In the meantime, we have been trying to find out from Kickstarter how we can fix that for y'all. We may have to make international shipping tiers. If nothing else, we'll come up with a work-around.

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:46 am 

I have no problem backing the project but I am loathe to dump 50% extra for postage and I am probably not the only one thats pulled back from that pledge. :(

You would have probably done better with a slightly higher tier and the same global price and no mention of that extra handling charge.

You do realise that there's a good 33% of the Myst/Uru community resident in Europe.

How about looking at a European/Global Distributor like Amazon?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:22 pm 

Yeah, we know that the cost of shipping has deterred several international pledges. Unfortunately, international shipping is REALLY expensive (to some countries, it is more expensive than the actual products themselves :shock: ).

Once we are above a certain margin, we can mitigate that expense, though likely even then, we'll be taking a huge hit. But at least more people will get their hands on the product. :)

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:10 am 

Kind of a catch-22. I can't justify 50% extra for S&H, sorry. I know shipping is expensive, but the result is because of it I'm sticking to the pdf only because those are cheap to 'ship'. Which of course is mildly ironic, because if everyone who was like me did go in the extra, we could possibly hit the stretch goal.
As it stands, Kickstarter is dumb. If it's going to insist an extra $25, even once you reach stretch, I'm going to sit right fine at the Book level.

On the plus side, you're already guaranteed the money out of this, and at 200-something percent of the initial asking!

Funny how that goes on Kickstarter. Either you highball the estimate, and never reach anywhere near even half, even with friends and family chipping in to boost your figures... or you lowball it a bit, and somehow get lucky, and it snowballs to the point you're getting more than the high estimate.

Well, just make sure you aren't biting off more than you can chew.. a lot of extra money can lead to the impulse to spend it all to give all the bang for the buck, and ends up with people going too far to use it all because they'd feel they were letting down the backers. Then everything falls apart. I'm already signed up for an rpg in a universe I've already shown a blatant disregard for canon in (as anyone who's seen SWN25/50 can attest! :lol: ) so pretty drawings and maybe some extra history bits is icing on the cake!
Don't worry, my disregard for established canon is variable, and it's an rpg, canon becomes what the GM decides it is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:40 am 

Hey, you gotta pay your bills, and that's fine :) Hopefully we'll hit that $15K goal, because then we can justify picking up the international shipping. If nothing else, we may add international specific tiers for people to switch their pledge too (that'd also make accounting easier too). But we'll see. And we have a good 26 days to go, so who knows what will happen.

As for biting off more than we can chew, I dunno I have a big mouth. Wait... that's didn't come out right... We are watching that as best we can at this point. We want to do as much cool stuff as possible though. So we'll see if there is a balance. And hopefully we stay on the right side ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:00 am 

I don't know how kickstarter handles everything once the drive is over, but perhaps the way it could work is that whatever has been pledged (the actual dollar amount, i mean) determines what tier you're at rather the tier selected when you first made the pledge. In this way, someone who pledged 75 to get the guildsman tier plus shipping would just be upgraded to the next tier (the name of which currently escapes me) should the free int. Shipping occur. The dollars wouldn't change but the reward would. For folks who are currently at the Book level who wanted to upgrade to guildsman, they would simply have to increase their pledge to 50 later on.

Again, not sure if kickstarter does this or not. I recently followed an indiegogo campaign thst did something similar (increase donation to get addons without actually changing what tier was originally selected). This would basicalky be the opposite of that scenario; increasing tier to get added content without changing donation amount.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:18 am 

As far as I am aware Kickstarter acts as an escrow protecting the small investor untill the developer has met some pre determined target.

People with an idea to float may not be able to raise capital for start-up from the bigger investors so by using Kickstarter ideas that are off the wall for the investment bankers get the seed money they need.

So instead of looking for one guy with a million that can spare $10,000 you are looking for a 1,000 with $10 (currency transposable).

The advantage is that Kickstarter let's you reach millions via the internet.

The rewards are a share in the primary product and developers get some good marketing information.

If there's not enough interest then the idea sits on Kickstarter goal unachieved. If the idea massivley overstretches its goal then the only thing stopping it being a success is the ability of the developer to follow through.
;)

Kickstarter is the vehicle not the Police.

http://www.kickstarter.com/hello?ref=nav

If you follow the link and read the page you will see that Kickstarter levy a 5% fee of of a sucessful project this is reasonable and allows for all of their overheads when you consider they bear the costs of running the site and taking nothing from those that fail.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:17 am 

Do you have a pledge target stretch goal where you drop the requirement for an overseas handling charge. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:04 pm 

That is our $15K goal, which we just passed. We are still working out how best to make the swap on the Kickstarter. We will be making an official update on Monday.

Offline Profile