Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:54 pm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:28 am 

Hello,

Okay so I have long had the idea that the Void between Ages (the place where the Star Fissure takes those who fall through it) has the ability to imbue and enhance those who utilize it a lot. The idea that I had is that part of why the D'ni are so physically superior - aging, healing, etc - is their constant use of linking, which over time has granted their people some enhanced traits. With time and practice those who have knoweldge of the Art and the Void are able to actually gain certain powers - nothing as flashy as the spells of fantasy wizards, rather things kind of similar to what the Bahro would do.

Anyway, this thread is basically providing the idea and asking those who read it how they might suggest such things would be implemented using the Fate rules. Though I own Fate Core I am not an expert on it by any stretch of the imagination so any help would be appreciated.

I also understand that this has no basis in anything actually canon, which is why I didn't segregate it to the section on the actual Unwritten rules, but I have thought it was a nifty idea from nearly the get go of my love of the Myst Universe. :)

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. It is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we becomes victims of the darkness."-Justice William O. Douglas

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:09 am 

Just a quick thought on this, but could it be that the Star Fissure is returning to the place that the Age Description book was written? An almost fail safe of Return to Sender? If I understand it correctly, the Star Fissure is a sign that an age is really unstable and that the Link cannot be maintained and so that anything that falls into that void would end up back at the point of the first link contact? This would have to mean that Riven was written on Earth and potentially was first used at the Cleft...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:48 pm 

MagooChris wrote:
Just a quick thought on this, but could it be that the Star Fissure is returning to the place that the Age Description book was written? An almost fail safe of Return to Sender? If I understand it correctly, the Star Fissure is a sign that an age is really unstable and that the Link cannot be maintained and so that anything that falls into that void would end up back at the point of the first link contact? This would have to mean that Riven was written on Earth and potentially was first used at the Cleft...

For Riven, I agree that the final emergence of the Fissure that shattered the Age occurred because the Age was unstable from the beginning. And I think you're likely correct that Riven was Written on Earth (or rather, down in the D'ni Cavern).

However, we see several instances of local accesses to the Fissure in Uru - the Bahro caves and Relto as two examples - where it manifests in Ages that are not unstable.

It is possible that the Fissure tends to dump things that originate from Earth/D'ni back at Earth/D'ni. I'd love to throw a biological lifeform that did not come from our Age down there and see where they wound up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:04 pm 

The main thing I would want to do with the Star Fissure is discourage any players from thinking they could build some kind of spaceship and travel to other Ages that way. So I would suggest that there are strong currents in it (stronger than any conceivable propulsion system) which impel anything that falls into it inexorably to either the Age they came from or, if that's not available, the Age where that Age was Written.

Obviously there's an exception in the form of the various portals that return explorers (in the first instance) to their Relto rather than to D'ni/Earth. One hesitates to invoke "Yeesha magic," but I can't at this point see an alternative...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:03 pm 

This is really interesting - I wonder if, perhaps, the star fissure sends things to a "Home Age" based on the harmonic resonance of the objects falling, or to where the Book of the origin Age was made - not written, but made.

In the example of Riven, the objects were sent to as close to the origin of where the Book was made - D'ni - as possible, the volcano just got in the way. This 'return' has to be based on the Book, not the Age, and the artefacts we find - the telescope, whark bones and the Moiety dagger - are definitely not of Earth origin. If it were a return based on the Age itself, surely the fissure would connect to the next available Age in resonance as the origin no longer exists - therefore, these artefacts would be spit out on another Riven, one that Gehn did not link to - think of Age 37, when Gehn removed the editing and 'reset' the Age to a pre-Gehn Age.

The thoughts about harmonic resonances comes from Atrus' crystal viewer 'tuning' a Book temporarily so that you could view an Age. Objects (and people) would obviously resonate with their Age of creation - where the materials were crafted, or the life was made. Any Books made would then create Ages with a similar resonance - different enough for the multitude of Ages out there, but similar enough that one could potentially travel back along.

-----

Sorry for just cutting off there - getting late here, and I lost my train of thought ><

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:31 pm 

You know, I really kinda like the "It throws things from an Age back where that Age was written" concept. I'd never thought of it that way, but it does seem to work, doesn't it?

KI#00001498

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:09 am 

Zander wrote:
The main thing I would want to do with the Star Fissure is discourage any players from thinking they could build some kind of spaceship and travel to other Ages that way.

It's easy enough to stall players from arriving at a destination long enough to scope out what's there for them to explore when they arrive.

Offline Profile