Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:16 am

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:07 pm 

Hello!

This is my first post, so I'll quickly introduce myself (I don't see anywhere else to do this). I have been a fan of Myst for a long time. My original copy came from a graphic's card my father installed in a client's PC and I LOVED it. Sadly...I also sucked at completing the puzzles, so my love for the art and Eras disappeared. The books brought it back in full...and the MystCraft mod for Minecraft has brought it back to the fore once more.

ALL THAT SAID:

We've already been told the game will be able to run and inform games in very different setups.

I for one would love to run a game, probably for 1/2 players in which they discover they are long descendants of the D'ni people, living in a unstable world and must discover their heritage and explore in search of a new world.

A bit cliché? You bet!

What do you guys want to run?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:20 pm 

I'm horribly ambitious (witness that I'm helping make an RPG o.O), I really want to run a weekend LARP. Explorers, out in an age somewhere, having to make their way through the strange places and weird contraptions in order to get home.

I really like your idea! *makes a note to have a place here where people can report on their ongoing games*

~El

KI#00001498

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:36 am 

My previous experience with tabletop games comes down to running long and overly complicated sci-fi adventures with D&D4e and Savage Worlds, so the FATE system is going to be a whole new exciting beast for me. With that in mind, I haven't quite figured out what I'm going to want to put together just yet, except...

1. Long-Term Internet Campaign
The kind of thing you're going to want a player-run and DM moderated wiki for. Plot points that don't get resolved for months, recurring characters, and an obscene number of plot threads to offer players, if they choose to follow them, all leading up to the sort of climax where you get to say "Hey, remember when this happened months ago?"

2. Bite-Sized Single Serving Sessions
Assuming that the game hits it's expected release window, I'd really like to set up camp in the tabletop area for next year's PAX Prime and run a few sessions. Tons of D&D, Pathfinder, and Savage Worlds going on there, but I don't foresee there being a lot of FATE options, much less Myst related ones.

...plenty of time to plan, if I can just get myself out of my usual campaign building mindset. Building something in the D'ni-verse is going to take me quite a few steps out of my comfort zone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:32 pm 

I want to run an action one-shot where I throw a team of adventurers against a dangerous set of puzzles to find their way to hidden treasure. Think Kadish's vault if things were actually trying to kill you as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:35 pm 

I am surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but my campaign would have players part of th D'Ni restoration crew who become a bit too eager to link to a newly discovered age, only to learn there is no linking book back. They then must solve puzzles and mysteries to linking books that take them to ages, hoping one of them will have a link back to D'Ni. part of the mystery will also be to uncover why the owner of the age removed said linking books.

I am new to the fate system, so I'll have to look over that before I could make any mechanics-specific challenges for the players.

This campaign also heavily relies on the players NOT having a Relto linking book. Which Iam not sure if that will be in Unwritten.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:12 pm 

But I allways cary my Relto book it's suicide not to. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:56 pm 

Looseleaf:

When you run an Unwritten game, you and your players call the shots. If you decide there are no Relto books, then there aren't any. The default setting talks about how most people have Relto books, but the default is just a starting point.

The tagline for Unwritten is Your Story is Unwritten. The emphasis is on "your."

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:39 pm 

I had a dream a while ago about D'ni that I think would be a great basis for a pre-fall campaign:

You and your compatriots are ordinary D'ni citizens... with a very lucrative side project. See, some of the old families have some problems with their Ages. But for one reason or another, they aren't interested in having the Maintainers take care of things. So they call on you. Your party investigates the problems in their Ages, fixes them up, maybe sometimes finds out what juicy secrets the families are hiding, maybe even alters the Descriptive book for the Age if instabilities in the writing are the root of the problem. You need to be a bit secretive, because the Maintainers probably wouldn't want you doing their job!

I think this framework could give the GM a lot of flexibility in making modular little adventures, while also providing space for bigger story arcs (ongoing inter-family politics, themes/clues shared across family ages, D'ni city shenanigans to keep your party secret). There's room for weighty moral decisions, too, like "wow, this family was hiding something BAD, what do we do about it?"

(If anyone wants to run something like this, or write it up for a splatbook or something, go for it! I'm thinking of running something like this, but I'd honestly rather play in it :p)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:31 am 

rivenwanderer wrote:
You and your compatriots are ordinary D'ni citizens... with a very lucrative side project. See, some of the old families have some problems with their Ages. But for one reason or another, they aren't interested in having the Maintainers take care of things. So they call on you.

...and this was the point where you got me to thinking about D'ni era Ghostbusters. Hm.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:02 am 

This is actually a good idea because it steers well clear of any of the ages of Cyan origin as all of their ages are built after fall of D'ni society.

Offline Profile