Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:48 pm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:27 pm 

I have a clearer idea of the setting I'd want to run in than of any specific plots as yet. (I will need to find some players too... :D )

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:06 pm 

I have ideas right now, trying to coalese them into a functional thing. It'd probably take place in alternate continuity, branching juuust before the whole end of MOUL. I'm a fan of larger politics and mysteries, and declaring "Oh, they're all going away because I said so" deus ex yeeshina is no fun.

On the other hand, I'd actually be quite happy to be a player in one of these games. There's a lot of good ideas thrown about, and I'm always more comfortable with a system after a few games (and despite it being a new system it uses fate core and that one I've never touched so it's new to me)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:20 pm 

To toss out something completely different (to be read in one's best Monty Python voice)... I had a couple ideas about using the Myst setting in near-future post-apocalyptic game.

In the first case, the players start out with no knowledge of the setting (as far as they know, they're just on Earth), playing a Mad-Max-esque band of misfits trying to eke out an existence in a destroyed world. But when they decide to take shelter in a cave near a long dormant volcano, they make a discovery that would change their world forever... The question is, how do they handle the Books? Are they an escape, merely a place of respite, or another resource (along with the worlds they contain) to be used, traded, and squandered? And what do their inhabitants think of these invaders from a dead world?

In the second case, the world is not dead, just dying. Overpopulation, pollution, and other man-made catastrophes are slowly killing the planet. So when there is the discovery of a Book (or maybe a few) that can transport people to a new, lush world, the decision is quickly made to start relocating humanity. Unfortunately, it looks like a one-way trip... the only similar book found on the other side provides nothing more than communication (and even that is quite static-y). That is, until someone discovers the missing pages. How do the colonists handle the fact that the resources of their new home are now free for the taking? (Why, yes, I'm channeling Terra Nova... why do you ask?)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:41 am 

An initial idea I had was that the members of my party (plus an NPC or two) were survivors of the collapse of D'ni, who hastily retreated into the first sustainable age they could find and took with them any books they happened to grab before leaving.

Not only would their activity center around exploring the ages they have and a long campaign to discover a way back and reconnect with the other D'ni people, but I also had the thought that the players could 'settle' in their refuge age: I could describe the surroundings and resources and give the players a chance to impart their own creations (housing, machines, library, etc.) into that age, kind of like their own island of Myst to which they can always return and find respite.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:17 pm 

I've often thought about what would actually be happening in and around the Cleft. I mean, in the game you arrive alone, there's nobody there but Zandi, but if lots of people were Called at once, they'd logically all arrive at once, and Zandi would have to become a sort of community leader to this unruly mob of total strangers who've come out to the middle of nowhere with no very clear idea why. Access to the Cleft itself would have to be restricted to one person at a time, because there just isn't room, and everyone else would have to find something to do with themselves while they waited. Depending on the volume of people arriving, I could see a sort of semi-permanent camp growing up there, maybe with some odd activities, certainly with people selling sausages or whatever.

And then when the Cavern to all intents and purposes closed up, there'd still be people arriving, and there'd be people who had burned their bridges to get there and had nowhere else to go, and maybe Zandi would be gone but someone might be elected "the Zandi," still sending people down to try for a Relto book or page, and maybe sometimes it would work...

I don't know. It seems to me there are possibilities there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:58 am 

Zander wrote:
Depending on the volume of people arriving, I could see a sort of semi-permanent camp growing up there, maybe with some odd activities, certainly with people selling sausages or whatever.

There are some lines you're gonna love in the manuscript.

As an anthropologist who looks at intentional communities, the way explorers shape the environment around them interests me a lot as well. A lot of the focus we've had so far looks at how explorers in the Cavern begin to take over spaces and turn them to their own uses, and we don't see what we do on the surface because Uru doesn't have that laid out for us. (Of course, we don't really see the spaces where explorers star living in the cavern either in-game...) I like the idea that an informal shanty town springs up up top, where people camp out and create a space where you have easy access to D'ni, but still conveniences of surface life, rather than roughing it down below. Having a decent-sized place of people who all know about D'ni must be nice, right? At the same time, how does this stay off the radar of nearby towns and governments? There's so much potential for discussing what people are building within and around the Cavern, even if you never talk about the Ages.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:17 am 

The first idea of a campaign that popped in my head is during the modern times an outsider who claims to be a descendant of D'ni (raised by survivors who filled his head with the teachings of D'ni, and prophecies of how it would rise again) who wants to rebuild the great D'ni empire. He basicly locks himself in D'ni with a group of explorers.

I guess it's kind of like what happened in book of Ghen, only this guy would have an army of followers to repopulate D'ni. It may or may not have been subconsciously inspired by one of my favorite movies of all time. *cough*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:02 am 

I always liked the idea of a campaign in which has the players take on the role of the Strangers that come to save Atrus and become his friend. I am not sure the best or easiest way to tackle such thing as having multiple people basically do that which one person was capable of is limiting.

Another idea I had was of people on their own discovering the whole Art of Writing Ages, maybe by analyzing the runic patterns located on certain ancient artifacts throughout the world. Examples including Stonehenge and various temples and pyramids around the world. This gives them first the ability to create linking books which would eventually lead to various adventure and piercing together ancient mysteries.

Of course there is also the major idea of a campaign in which the players happen to be around the Cleft and the volcano leading to D'ni where they find the tunnels leading to the city and travel it. With some actions that see them seeing Bahro they will be lead to the city and the ancient ruins of D'ni civilization. Maybe they are called to the place, a call that pierces space to bring those 'home.'

Basically though I am pretty sure that Yeesha would not exist in my versions (at least not as the Grower, I don't mind child Yeesha) nor would there be a DRC. End of Ages would definitely not happen though I would heavily borrow much material from it.

All in all, honestly, so many different ideas come to me about what I could run in the vast and great Myst Universe considering the innumerable ages that might be written about and visited.

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. It is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we becomes victims of the darkness."-Justice William O. Douglas

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:09 am 

A game where there are clues around the world that lead to D'ni would be pretty cool. You could go the whole Da Vinci Code route and integrate conspiracy theories into it (what is Area 51 _really_ hiding??). I do mention that idea in the book a little ;)

As for running a group of Strangers helping out Atrus, the key is really to think outside the box. Just because something is presented one way in the games doesn't mean it has to be presented that way in your game. Or even that it should. The Myst games are built with the understanding that you are alone and that you just have your wits. Unwritten games are not like that.

Unwritten characters have skills, and they won't be afraid to use them. They won't have to try to attract fireflies to make it through the dark caves in Eder Gira, for example. They might just bring a flashlight. Or maybe break up some of those baskets and start a fire. Etc.

It's better to focus on setting up problems that players have to solve. And you don't often want to come up with a solution ahead of time - that's what players are for! Make them be creative and if they impress you, it works.

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:14 am 

BladeLakem,

I think that is one of the most interesting differences between the Myst universe computer games and actual roleplaying games. There were so many times in the games when I was like, "look, I totally could squeeze past that invisible barrier, its completely not fair" or even when in D'ni city I was like, "the door totally can be broken open, I want to see the chamber behind it."

Which in an actual tabletop (or even online) game if the players are able to get into the room, go around the space, or manage to use another method to do something you have to go with it. (Using a flashlight to light up a hidden area is a nifty way to go about solving the puzzle)

Thankfully, D'ni technology is such that its quite possible to have one inch thick impenetrable glass that completely covers the goal chamber. One of the things I thought was cool was not breaking the wall to get into the secret chamber, but instead of cracking the code to move the wall panel. Its like the Atrus verus Gehn philosphy (Gehn smashes, Atrus solves).

hehe

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. It is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we becomes victims of the darkness."-Justice William O. Douglas

Offline Profile