Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:48 pm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:51 am 

Hey all, huge Myst Universe fan and a huge fan of the entire idea of Unwritten (as well as a backer of the kickstarter as well). Anyway, I had this little idea that I wanted to share, and its about Relto Pages. One of the things that I really loved about Uru (besides the whole going into the cavern thing, you know, besides that) was the whole concept of personal ages and the idea that the ages can be expanded and modified through the addition of new pages. Now I know in-universe they are written by Yeesha and are thus limited to her actions but the idea is too good to pass up in my opinion.

So the idea would be that players could use this to have their own customized Ages, maybe even at higher levels have a sort of group Age that they can call their own. By finding pages the Ages can be modified and expanded with new structures, features, and elements. GMs could plot pages around the campaign making them part of the 'treasures' to be found by completing plots, storylines, and exploratory adventurers.

All Relto Ages could start identical to each other - probably similar or even identical to the one in Uru - before being expanded and modified and made unique by the additions of special pages. Bigger islands, new islands, new sky features, parting the mist to make Relto not a skyage, etc. It could really make a game unique and could be as simple or as complex as the GM would like to make it.

This is just an idea of course, but I think it would be a nifty addition to a campaign in Unwritten.

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. It is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we becomes victims of the darkness."-Justice William O. Douglas

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:20 pm 

I wont pretend to speak for the design team, but I know a little about the regular Fate rules. If the Relto ages are in the game, or put into the game by GMs then those pages can be simply handled by adding Aspects to the age itself. Due to the narrative style of gameplay I don't see why it couldn't be done, but the biggest issue is more that this is a roleplaying game and unlike a computer game you wont really 'see' your Relto. In this case Relto pages would be more like a form of loot or reward.
And in the way of a group age, there is always those community islands in the D'Ni cavern itself. Granted, I don't see what would stop the players from claiming a garden age if they found one. Frankly if I ever actually saw a Garden Age in the real world I'd spend a whole lot of time in one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:43 pm 

Ages are handled with Aspects. They have a central Theme aspect and then additional aspects as needed.

A GM could easily change the aspects of Relto to match finding Relto pages, or to reflect changes in the character.

Given that Yeesha says that Relto will change with you, an interesting idea would be that Relto has a set of aspects that each correspond to one of your player's aspects. A character aspect of Hotheaded Explorer might be reflected in Relto as Randomly Stormy. As your character aspects change, so do the aspects of your Relto.

There are lots of options.

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:50 am 

Very interesting points. :)

I will say that my personal experience with the Fate system is through the more older Fudge system in which the current system is based on. So yeah, because of that I didn't know about Aspects and other such elements as older versions didn't really have them. But they sound cool and interesting.

Actually, the thought of making it so Ages have aspects to them and thus 'personalities' in a broad sense is really cool. I can only wonder what the aspects for such core places as Myst and Riven would have - I hope the book provides such write ups, if nothing else than for examples.

I am very much looking forward to this game and seeing the ideas presented for Ages and all the possibilities with them! :)

Total Edit: So I just discovered/realized that Fate is basically the system used in the Dresden Files rpg, the Starblazer Adventurers RPG, the Legends of Anglerre rpg, and the Spirit of the Century rpg - all games that I own. Which means, though I didn't realize it at first, I do have some background knowledge of Fate and thus the core system that Unwritten will be based on.

What is more with my realization that its quite similar to Starblazers, I totally see this being the PERFECT rpg system for the highly pulpish and varied Myst Universe!

It seems like such a simple realization but it totally has spun my head around and just increased my interest a thousand fold (and I didn't really think that was possible, lol)

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. It is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we becomes victims of the darkness."-Justice William O. Douglas

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:56 am 

Unwritten is based off of FateCore, which is the next iteration of Fate from what you see in those games. It's a lot more streamlined.

The FateCore book itself has a page that describes how FateCore is different than previous versions: http://fate-srd.com/fate-core/veterans-guide

That site is a great site, btw. It takes the FateCore system reference documents (which are open source until the Open Gaming License) and formats them in a web-friendly way.

As for Ages, the idea is that they do have personalities of a sort. In fact, one of the great things about Fate is that anything can be treated like a character.

The main book will not have stat blocks on Myst and Riven - we are leaving these to the supplements. The focus of Unwritten is post-Myst Online/modern day. There will be Ages that are statted out in Unwritten. They are just Ages you've not seen before.

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:08 pm 

BladeLakem wrote:
Unwritten is based off of FateCore, which is the next iteration of Fate from what you see in those games. It's a lot more streamlined.

The FateCore book itself has a page that describes how FateCore is different than previous versions: http://fate-srd.com/fate-core/veterans-guide

That site is a great site, btw. It takes the FateCore system reference documents (which are open source until the Open Gaming License) and formats them in a web-friendly way.

As for Ages, the idea is that they do have personalities of a sort. In fact, one of the great things about Fate is that anything can be treated like a character.

The main book will not have stat blocks on Myst and Riven - we are leaving these to the supplements. The focus of Unwritten is post-Myst Online/modern day. There will be Ages that are statted out in Unwritten. They are just Ages you've not seen before.

I just bought FateCore and as I am reading it I cannot help but think how perfect it is for Unwritten, and heck, its perfect for the setting I created on my own but that does not yet have any rules to back up the fluff. Its such a toolkit sort of rule system that makes it quite easily adaptable.

So thumbs up to you and the team and their decision to use FateCore, and heck, to make this whole project!

Having Ages have personalities is awesome and would make certain adventurers so much easier to create and run. I am actually looking forward to seeing how such ages are written up and stated.

While its sad not to have at least Myst in the core book (just as an homage to what the entire game line is all about and how it all started) I do understand where you are coming from. And since I plan on pretty much buying everything with Unwritten on its name - book wise - I totally will one day (hopefully relatively soon) have a book where Myst and Riven and the other ages we all love get described in game terms.

I will say having new ages be in the book is awesome - it will make it understandable that the game can take us anywhere, not just to places we have already been but to other much more newer places. Looking forward to it!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:11 pm 

BladeLakem wrote:
A GM could easily change the aspects of Relto to match finding Relto pages, or to reflect changes in the character.

As I was reading LordHeru's initial post, this idea occurred to me as well. Interesting possibilities. But why limit it to character aspects? Couldn't all aspects be modified by Relto pages? And if aspects, why not stunts and skills too?

Offline Profile