Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:14 am

Post subject: Myst in Myst
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:02 am 

So I was thinking about the Myst Universe (mostly cause I am in a Relto Age loving moment) and I thought of something. Basically, would the Myst Games exist in a campaign where the elements of the Myst Universe actually exist? Obviously if Uru is when your campaign is taking place I can't see there being a similarly existing game that was released at the same time, but what about Myst, Riven, and the others with the Stranger.

Honestly, I am not sure how I would answer this question. I guess for me if I was to campaign in the time of the Stranger than nothing about the games would exist or have been released. But if I set the campaign in present time, I might have the original games exist, which could lead to all sorts of interesting in-game things like what does Cyan know about the real D'ni and stuff.

I was wondering your thoughts on this? :)

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. It is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we becomes victims of the darkness."-Justice William O. Douglas

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Myst in Myst
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:18 am 

The Myst games are canon. I mean, in the setting, the Myst games exist as video games. The DRC invited the Miller brothers down to the Cavern, and Myst 1-4 were based off of Catherine's journals, as discovered by the DRC. Myst 5 is based on Dr. Watson's experiences of freeing the Bahro. I don't think I ever heard a specific reason for bringing the Miller brothers in... I heard things like trying to slowly introduce D'ni to the surface world, or maybe as a funding method. I think the Miller brothers just happened to know Zandi (since Zandi is based on a real person, I think).

Uru itself does not exist as a game or MMO. Uru is Real Life™.

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile