Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:19 pm

Post subject: Changes to Myst Universe
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:39 pm 

So I was watching Sven's lets play of Uru again cause I find myself back within my love of underground civilizations.

Anyway, as he was going through the lets play I couldn't help but think of the things that I kind of dislike about the Myst Universe and that I mentally change whenever I think about it.

One thing is that the D'ni did not have slaves, neither human nor Bahro. The Bahro can still exist, but the whole enslavement of them is gone, gone gone gone.

Another thing is Yeesha, I kind of wipe her from existence when I think of the setting. I just don't really like what she did - though I don't mind her being a child of Atrus or living, its her godmode that I dislike.

Actually, come to think of it, another change is that I remove the DRC and the whole restoration effort and both Uru and Myst V: End of Ages. That is, I don't mind humans finding the cavern but I don't consider the way that it was done by the DRC to be the way it would occur in my thoughts.

I love Myst, Cyan, and everything that has done about it but with over two decades of loving the universe I have some differences when I think about it.

I would love to hear what others think on this, and if you have any points in the Myst Universe that you either change or remove.

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. It is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we becomes victims of the darkness."-Justice William O. Douglas

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:05 am 

I've heard a lot of people talk about wanting to walk back the Uru changes to the continuity, so you are not alone. ;) In my anecdotal experience, the most vocal tend to be people who have been fans the longest.

Unwritten, obviously, does not take that tack, but your game is up to you. :)

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:35 am 

BladeLakem wrote:
I've heard a lot of people talk about wanting to walk back the Uru changes to the continuity, so you are not alone. ;) In my anecdotal experience, the most vocal tend to be people who have been fans the longest.

Unwritten, obviously, does not take that tack, but your game is up to you. :)

I totally can believe that, that those who have been the fans the longest find themselves wanting to push back Uru. I have been a fan of Myst since it came out, I remember playing it with my Dad back in 1993, so yeah, I go pretty far back with it.

I will say that I am incredibly grateful for Uru, seeing D'ni and walking around ti was amazing and unforgettable, and the whole Relto age with pages that modify it is very cool.

I honestly think what bothered me most was Myst V, because it made itself seem like a Myst sequel but it doesn't have the Stranger being the main protagonist and the whole modern day DRC thing is not so much to my liking.

I'm fine with Unwritten including everything - it should, and to be honest I would be more upset if it decided to arbitrarily ignore canon. And anyway its easier for me to ignore something that I don't like then to create something that should be there.

(I do think, by the way, that Relto pages and stuff like that should be mentioned, it has a part to play with games that have Yeesha and stuff; and really, its a nifty concept, it could give players a base of operations that they can expand as they adventure.)

As a final rambling point, I still would like to hear if there is anything that you and others would like to add, change, or delete from the Myst universe? :)

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. It is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we becomes victims of the darkness."-Justice William O. Douglas

Offline Profile