Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:57 pm

Post subject: How long do D'ni live?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:05 pm 

Could be an important question if setting stories among the D'ni...

According to Myst/Uru canon, the events portrayed in the first four Myst games take place two hundred years prior to the present day in which Uru is set, while End of Ages is roughly contemporaneous. In EoA, Yeesha is portrayed as an older woman, apparently in her forties or fifties, and Atrus as a doddery old man. Yet the games, again according to canon, are fictionalised retellings of the events they describe, so they cannot be taken as reliable. Against this may be set Yeesha's appearance in K'veer, part of the "real" present-day timeline, when she appeared exactly the same as in the Cleft holograms (late teens/early twenties) but was clearly speaking "live," as it were. It would seem from this that two hundred years make very little difference to even partial D'ni...

Of course, we can do whatever we like, but I think it's nice to know these things.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:59 pm 

Average D'ni lifespan was around 325 years, according to canon sources. Atrus and Yeesha are only partial D'ni, so I would suspect they'd have shorter lifespans.

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:03 pm 

Which canon sources, though? This is the thing. When canon contradicts itself, if you want to resolve the contradiction you have to rank the sources in order of believability. Yeesha today must be two hundred or so, and yet a couple of years ago she turned up in front of a bunch of people looking no more than twenty. I'd guess that IC eye witness trumps most other things. :twisted:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:37 am 

It was never clear if there was interbreeding between surface humans and D'ni there would need to be some fairly close genetic links (OK I know this is fiction but for a story to work it has to have an element of plausibility. Just as an example to make Spock a believable half Human half Vulcan the storyline included medical intervention.)

As for longevity I have been in the cavern since it opened and my avatar has not aged a day I believe my avatar looks younger than the day he linked into the cavern.

Possibly Linking has some age prolonging effect as yet undiscovered.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:15 am 

Well, there certainly has been successful interbreeding between surface human and D'ni. Also Amad (whoever they are) and half-D'ni, and Rivenese and quarter-D'ni, indicating that all four species evolved in completely different worlds to be completely genetically compatible. Gee, what are the odds? :D

Of course, once you allow the possibility that humans, Amad, Rivenese and whatever others there may be are compatible with D'ni because they were Written (i.e. created) that way, it becomes a whole lot easier...

...but this probably isn't the place to have that argument. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:54 am 

I have to agree the easiest explanation is that we are all written that way and by the same count book travel bestows longevity.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:26 pm 

I don't think book travel bestows longevity. Catherine aged much faster than Atrus, of course, yet they both travelled by book regularly (admittedly, Atrus had been doing it a BIT more than she, perhaps, but the numbers wouldn't be THAT different). I think that being D'ni just created a natural longevity that was bestowed even to diluted descendants, not unlike Tolkien elves (though of course not with QUITE so much longevity as an elf haha)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:56 pm 

Simple. Atrus lived for at least hundreds of years, and was an old man by then. We can figure that out by the dates. He died soon after. In EoA, Yeesha was middle aged to older, it's tough to tell because she was likely prematurely aged by everything that had gone on.
Yet she was younger when she showed up after that in K'veer, right?

There's a few possible answers. One, EoA isn't canonical in appearances, as it's based on Dr. Watson's journal and explanations, much like how the previous 4 games were based on other journals from the past. Then of course fictionalized by Cyan and others to make a game.

But the other answer, that they're both more or less canonical, how does that work? Not a problem, when you stop and realize that there's only one person who can pull that off (without Kadish-style trickery). She is the grower.. and we weren't seeing the 'same' Yeesha (much like how the whole Scars conundrums resolved when you realized there were more than one group of bahro with Wheely). The EoA Yeesha was the same Yeesha but an older later Yeesha, who'd failed already in her quests, and so on. She had one last shot at redemption, and she took it with the unlikely choice of the former head of the organization she'd fought against before.
The Yeesha in in Kadish at the enod of MOUL was the 'same' Yeesha, but an earlier Yeesha. She hadn't failed with the tablet and was busy with everything. Later she could go back to the point of everything and try to make it better, fail entirely caught up in her own self-importance caused by centuries of being who she is.. then get saved by said unlikely source. It only doesn't make sense when you assume the Grower has to be linear temporal.

The third option is that it's the tablet itself. Having the burden of it prematurely aged her, and the whole weight of everything and her failures got to her (combined with some mystic bahro mumbo-jumbo for actual literal aging). Then when it was returned, the weight on her was quite literally removed, and she recovered to the 'present-day' Yeesha.

Or alternately, she can change appearance, and one of the two Yeeshas we saw was 'fake'. Or both. Naturally I don't believe this one so much.

The problem then is that Yeesha is a very special case, and should NOT be used for any determination of the agespan of a D'ni. My guess, based on simple fact that genetics doesn't do division like that, is that a half-D'ni does not live half the lifespan of an average D'ni, and that lifespan depends on the parents and the child themselves, with the mean of a mixed race being probably a fair bit closer to the D'ni average of 300-something, with gradual degredation the further away from 'pure' D'ni you have but with spotaneous 'throwbacks' to hundreds of years generations out. Atrus seemed to pull something like that off. Catherine however didn't have the 'longetivity' genetics of the D'ni in her (plural, this is too gradual a thing to be a simple gene or two) so she died at whatever age is normal-ish for Riveneese.

My guesses at least. Naturally as established before canon is whatever the GM decides here, but that's my gut feelings on the matter.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:02 am 

Your first option makes most sense to me. But then I never believed all that stuff about the Magic Tablet of Wizwam and the supposed D'ni with the Russian accent anyway. EoA is pure obfuscation from start to finish, and D'ni lifespans are a lot longer than we've been told, I think.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:19 am 

Yeah. That's the problem I suspect.. things might actually be easier if 'canon' is established as the few things we were explicitly told were true, and not most of the rest. Atrus existed, but we don't know what Myst was like. He had two sons and a daughter, presumably, but we have no idea how long any of them lived for, nor do we know their eventual fates. Yeesha may have ended up the Grower.. or she could be a hell of a shyster with an elaborate hoax.

That's why as I keep saying, canon is up to the GM. A source document in the book is going to have to note right off the bat that the 'canon' is often self-contradictory as 'new info' is added, so all the facts there could be anulled any point by another Myst game if Cyan does that in the far future. They probably live a long while, but exactly how long varies about a mean, meaning the question is our variance. Unless we get RAWA to go and nail down a bunch of factoids it's pich and choose at best.. plus anything declared in the Unwritten guide is going to be secondary to rule zero.

Offline Profile