Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:02 am

Post subject: D'ni Cavern
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:40 pm 

Hello all,

So one of the things that just clinched my love of all things D'ni (besides the Art of Writing and the whole concept of Guilds which I love deeply) is the nature of their civilization existing in an underground cavern.

In Myst we see for the first time a bit of D'ni civilization, though while it turned out to be just be a single room it basically ignited in me a need to know more.

Then came the various other games, where we learned a little more about D'ni. And then the books where they describe it.

Then came Uru and we got to see just a small smattering of the city, with the To D'ni Expansion Pack opening up so much more. The Revelations game was our last look and it gave us much of the Great Shaft.

To me the greatest moment of was signing into Uru and standing on the Great Stairwell and looking off into the distance and seeing Kerath's Arch. The ruins around me broke my heart, though since it was still beautiful in its half broken state I began to imagine what glories it would present at its height.

One of the things I am looking forward to in Unwritten is the ability to have games set in the Great Cavern of D'ni, even if its Ages which will get somewhat more attention in some ways. I would love to map out the city with descriptions of its districts and its major buildings. To find ways to basically make it live 'again' in art and story. (As a totally random note, I would not be adverse to commissioning artists to draw portraits of a vast underground city, I have a vast imagination and some talent in writing but no talent in artistry; though with issues of copyright and ownership I would never wish to step on anyone's toes.]

So I know that this is not the 'official' map of D'ni any more, but honestly this is the picture that I still use whenever I come up with my personal views of the main island of Aegura. http://chiso.uruslasthope.com/albums/D%27ni/Ae%27gura/aegura-map.jpg [I would never expect Unwritten to officially use such an 'outdated' map, though I do love it so. hehe]

The main reason I think I personally support it over the more Uru based maps is its vastness, it seems much more epic and legendary in size and scope. Especially as I remind myself its just the center island in the vast cavern with its massive lake home to islands and the many rim lands that jut from the outer cavern walls and lie home to other city districts.

So yeah, I just wanted to get out my thoughts on this. To share once again my love of Myst and D'ni and all the things that come from it. I would love conversation, though I don't directly have a question within.

Well, actually, I could provide a question to spur conversation : When you find yourself with Unwritten and a starting a campaign how will you use the D'ni Cavern and how will you design it?

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. It is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we becomes victims of the darkness."-Justice William O. Douglas

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: D'ni Cavern
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:32 am 

Unwritten will have a map of the cavern. it won't be in the first draft you'll see in the beta access session but you won't be disappointed, LordHeru, as that particular concept map is very much on our mind ;)

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: D'ni Cavern
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:20 pm 

BladeLakem wrote:
Unwritten will have a map of the cavern. it won't be in the first draft you'll see in the beta access session but you won't be disappointed, LordHeru, as that particular concept map is very much on our mind ;)

Oh boy does this have me intrigued and looking very much forward to it all, even more than I have been, and trust me, I have been looking forward to it all.

It will be quite nice to see how you balance the various competing ideas into one nice gaming official whole.

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. It is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we becomes victims of the darkness."-Justice William O. Douglas

Offline Profile