Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:00 am

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:59 pm 

That would make sense, and fits my theory as well. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:39 am 

My take on this is that in an infinite multiverse, everything exists eventually. For example, near the beginning, one person mentioned a coke machine on a deserted age. Perhaps a civilization made the machine and was destroyed by a flesh eating virus that destroyed all evidence of them but didn't get around to the machine yet. Or perhaps geological forces made it by chance.
You're now saying "how likely is that?" The answer is: possible. If you have infinite worlds, at least one of them matches every idea.

As Sherlock Holmes said, "Once you've eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however unlikely, must be the truth."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:10 am 

This is the outcome of the whole quantum theory thing, that everything we can imagine already exists somewhere, merely because it can. I find this horribly quietist enough as it stands: combined with the notion of a personal Creator, who gave us the ability to imagine and create new things having already created everything we could possibly imagine, it's nothing short of sadistic.

Everything we know about the Art tells us that one Writes an Age exactly the same way one writes a story or a poem, creating it in the mind with the imagination and transmitting it to paper. Possibly to someone who does not themselves write or feel the urge to write, it will not be easily understood exactly how it feels to spend hours or days labouring over a story only for someone to point out the exact same story, word for word, in a magazine twenty years old. In fact, that rarely happens, but it is one thing all writers dread; unconscious plagiarism. In this view of the D'niverse, every Writer is an unconscious plagiarist, labouring to perfect and make whole the design of a world that already exists. Far from being a creative individual practising an Art, s/he is merely a puppet running apathetically along a groove, for the mind of the Maker in making the Age made its Writer who Writes it as well, and there is no free will in the universe but God's.

Which *clears throat, controls breathing, adjusts clothing and picks up pieces of shattered water glass from where they landed* is why I prefer to take the view that while the Great Tree of Possibility certainly exists *picks up overturned chair* it exists in possibility, not in reality,, and that the Maker, in creating the potentiality for all things *straightens tie* left the details to us.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:57 am 

Apologies for necroing, but I've not been around here for some time, and I'd like to give my two cents on the matter. Or rather, RAWA's two cents.

In an e-mail he wrote to the Riven Lyst on 17th September, 1997, he basicly stated the D'ni viewpoint, and goes into the quantum mechanics of how the books work. He then goes on to explain how changes to the book can cause the Age to change subtly as well. He goes on the mention how Riven is not the best case-in-point for this discussion, because Catherine.

In another e-mail written on 13th November, he confirms that when Gehn messed with the Age 37 book the second time, he did in fact cause the link to 'jump'.

In an unrelated e-mail the day after, he explained what would happen if two identical books were written. Namely, they would link to identical Ages, but not the same Age, due to the chaotic nature of the link.

Subsequent e-mails also reference this chaotic behaviour in choosing an Age to link to to explain various scenarios.

I think, given that RAWA's word is to be taken as canon (since he is largely responsible for canon presented in the games, and probably to some extent, the books), it seems to me that the above is compelling evidence for pre-existing 'quantum' Ages.

(Note: The above can be found by visiting All Things Uru, using the Relto book, entering the hut, and reading The Watson Letters on the top-left bookshelf, on the right-hand side of the hut.)

Shorah,
KathAveara.

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists

Offline Profile