Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:16 pm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:35 am 

Presented, because I am who I am, as a deleted scene from "A Learning Experience":

Eric scrambles out of bed and pounds along the corridor to Yeesha's room, where he hammers on the door till she opens it and peers blearily out at him.

"Some of us like to sleep occasionally, Mr Gutteridge," she says.

"Never mind that," Eric says excitedly. "I just realised sommat. It just occaired to me. The language of the Art doesn't have any wairds for feelin's."

Yeesha just looks at him, but he goes on regardless. "I were just thinkin' idly about how you'd describe a--a broodin' mountain, say, or a beautiful garden, and you can't. There's no wairds in thur to indicate how sommat makes you feel. And that's why it wairks. Or part of why it wairks, maybe. It's the only language in the wairld wur none of the writer's pairsonality comes over--nothing, literally nothing, colours the description. Science has to go all round the houses in English to do it--I dunno about other languages, burri've read some technical papers and it's painful. 'The catalyst was introduced into the solution' and so on. An' even then if they're disappointed with a result, or chuffed about it, you can usually tell from the phrasin'. You literally can't do that with the Garohevtee. Your pairsonality's involved--obviously--burrit never comes between the reader and the facts."

Yeesha regards him soberly for a moment.

"Very good, Mr Gutteridge," she says. "Should you discover in your nightly ruminations that water is wet, stone hard or honey sweet, please be sure to inform me immediately. And now I suggest you go back to sleep."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:42 pm 

I hate Yeesha, just to tell you. :)

That said, the passage is pretty cool. It's a very interesting point made in it. One that also says a lot about the scientificly minded D'ni.

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. It is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we becomes victims of the darkness."-Justice William O. Douglas

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:57 am 

That is an interesting theory, and having thought about it (while reading the above) I have to say that I agree.

Age Building - for me, anyway - has always been a "From the ground up" exercise, stemming from the passage in the Book of Atrus when Gehn starts explaining the Art, and writes island and a couple of other phrases and states "There, it's done" - forgive me, I know that this isn't a correct quote, I don't have my copy of BoA on hand atm.

In this way, while writing you start with a ball of rock, envisioning building it as though looking at a history of the Earth's formation (ie: this found on this blog).

When you look at a kor'mahn and its description within, having a word such as "Beautiful" would riddle the Age with unknowable errors as 'beautiful' is a subjective term - I personally can see beauty in a mountain scape, or a tree, but fail to see it in a city, while someone else can just as easily see the beauty of a city, but just see a pile of rocks and trees in my mountain. As such, the kor'mahn would struggle to fit multiple descriptions from the one Age, and would probably fail - though probably not as catastrophically as some of Gehn's Ages.

I guess, one could liken the problem as having an AI ask "What is 'Love'?" from two people - an extroverted romantic, and an introverted recluse - and would probably have a meltdown from the contradictory information.

In short, to Write an Age one needs to use definitive words, that can not be interpreted any other way but how the Writer Writes them. Sure, some things come out unexpectedly, but that's only nature - you might Write "Blue Flower" thinking the colour of the noon-sky over the Cleft, but what you get is a deep sea blue, because for whatever reason it's more attractive to the pollinating insects of that Age.

Remember: We do not create the Age, merely the bridge to it :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:39 pm 

Well, I think we do, but that doesn't affect the point one way or the other. :)

Offline Profile