Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:14 am

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:22 am 

It ever strike anyone as downright odd in Myst and Riven people talked to you through linking book panels? Obviously it's just a game and they needed to give out exposition in some way, but once you really start to think about it, it makes next to no sense. Is there some weird portal window on the other side where they can see you? I get that the person holding a linking book can see into the age but it seems impossible that this could work the other way around.

But hey. I'll let it slide because I love those games.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:54 am 

That's 'artistic license' :mrgreen:

Canon is that linking panels allow you to see real time into the Age (no sound) but not the other way. The communication has been explained as 'they communicated somehow - records don't indicate the details'.

So, a great place to put your own game stuff in.

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:18 pm 

I have always thought of the linking book as an Amber Trump in this way. Once activated, the Trump showed a real time view into the location (or the person) for the trump, just like the Linking Image. In Myst series, it seems that they are not targetted normally at a person... just geography. In terms of communication, it takes a lot more skill and both sides need to be "on" at the same time than an Amber Communication.

Perhaps for game purposes, it should be an Aspect or Stunt to take.

It also could be a new way to use The Art. Earthfolk take Ki/ cell phones for granted. Perhaps you can write a book to have a line that always includes a given person in their linking panel.

Offline Profile