Login | Register

All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:50 pm

Post subject: Demath's Chronicle
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:08 pm 

Professional Journal: Entry 001:

My name is Demath, son of Kedash, from the line of Siaves. I am a Maintainer of the rank of Guildsman. I believe I have discovered a crime against the laws and moral code of the D'ni people. To bring the delinquent to trial, I am beginning this record of evidence.

I have arrived on a strange Age, one I do not recognize. I do not entirely recall how I got here, only that I stood in a chamber and Linked through a book. I am here with other individuals, one that I know - my friend Varsil, a Surveyor - and several that I do not. One other is D'ni, a Messenger, I believe. The other strangers are not D'ni, though we are able to communicate.

Here is what I have discovered so far about the location we have found ourselves in:

-There is a man named Gehn who oversees this land
-He claims to be their lord and master
-He is of D'ni descent

He has created several structures that we have seen so far. One example is a fascinating rotating room. The decorations along the walls reaffirm Gehn's claims of rulership of the people. In addition, he has had a temple built in his name for his worship. Here are some images of these blasphemous artifacts:

There is some evidence of a rebellion against his authority. While I do not generally believe in engaging with outsiders and meddling in their petty internal affairs, I believe that Gehn's actions violate all D'ni ethics and reflect poorly upon the name of the D'ni. Finding out more about this rebellion seems prudent to me. Ideally we can also find out more information about Gehn himself. We don't have enough information as of yet to determine how we can get out of here or how we should resolve this.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Demath's Chronicle
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:42 pm 

I am not starting an argument just drawing attention to something thats come up when we went to produce fan ages.

Cyan have allways been protective of anything that cotradicts cannon. Given that I don't know of any time they have enforced this.

I know the intention is not to stick strictly to cannon but I fear you will encounter wrath from a certain element of the Uru/Myst community

Now with that in mind I seem to remember Gehn did not start writing ages till after the fall and the errors in his ages spring from the fact that he was self taught.

There is no problem engaging with Ghen's age.
Theres no problem with your lead character Demath.
Within the Myst/Uru timeline a guildsman and the original guilds should not co-exist with the age Riven.

There is allways going to be problems when you try to use any of the ages built and produced within the Myst Uru timeline but there are fan ages that have a posibility of existing from before the fall of the D'ni or use some sort of plot device such that your main character somehow escaped the fall of the D'ni due to some form of statis and is unaware of it's demise.

This would allow you to have your main protaganist Demath to write his record of evidence unaware of both the passage of time and also be unaware that the guild no longer exists.

;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:22 pm 

I dont intend to start a fight either, but I see the whole point of doing this Unwritten thing is to tell the stories that might have happened, that we wish had happened, and that never happened, just because they're all good stories to tell. I don't think anyone has the intention of playing through some non-canonical scenario and then pronouncing to the community at large that because they thought it up, it true and canonical and everyone else must now adhere to it.

You're right, there will be some who might find Demath's current story goes too far when it it comes to Myst canon, but there are just as likely those who will want to tell the (canoncally) impossible story of Atrus' Fabulous Thanksgiving Festival, where all the members of his extended family (including members both imprisoned and deceased ) arrive for a party that no one, and Catherine in particular, will ever forget. Its all a matter of personal taste, and considering that they already have Cyan's blessing, I think its not something to worry about.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:02 pm 

I'm not inclined to be worried either. I have allways found some plot device to get round that stuff.

I just know there are some that will troll you for the least thing. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:51 pm 

Roleplaying games are non-Canon by definition. GMs can go all sorts of ways when they make their games and we encourage that.

What we present in Unwritten is in line with Canon as much as possible, but we talk about where you can go your own way.

In respect to the Demath's story, that playtest game is set before the Fall of D'ni. Why there is this Gehn guy around who claims that D'ni was destroyed is still a mystery as far as the characters are concerned. ;)

Unwritten RPG G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/105 ... 0139147797

Offline Profile